Monday, February 9, 2009

Communication Tidbit: "The Bobble"

So for all of you Indian readers, you'll have to weigh in on my observations of what the exchange and international students at ISB have taken to calling "the bobble."  Never before did I think to write about this confusing gesture/communication technique, but then - twice in one day - I used the bobble!

The term "bobble" likely originated from the scary baseball park souvenirs/dashboard toys in the U.S. - the bobble-head dolls.  However, in India, the communication technique is much older than the weird American toys (as nearly every Indian I've met here seems to use it rather frequently.) The motion is something between a "yes" nod and a "no" shake, but it also has this added bounce and all-over-the-place wild motion of the head.  As the recipient of the bobble, it's hard to know whether the bobble-er is agreeing, disagreeing, listening without judgement, or perhaps making fun of you.

Just as the attentive Fuqua students nod in class as a sign of intent listening and information digestion (even when spacing out completely), the ISB students bobble!  It's completely amusing and can push me to the brink of hysterics when I'm especially bored.  However, when giving a presentation to the director of marketing at a local company this week, I realized how unnerving it can be to have no idea what your audience is thinking!  What is this bobble?...and how has it invaded my communication too?! :)

Alright...feedback please, Indian friends! 

5 comments:

  1. haha - now you can imagine how difficult it would have been for your India friends not to 'Bobble' sitting in the class at Fuqua!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes!!! Sooner or later you had to be perplexed by the Indian nod.

    I explain the 'bobble' as ...
    * We do not like to confront, or "appear" opinionated, or want to offend you - goes towards 'chalta hai, life hai'/indifferent attitude towards most of the things. This "bobble" is in the classrooms, in conversations etc etc
    * If you see a frown or bigger movement from left to right in the mix of "bobble" movements... that is western NO equivalent.

    My advice .. If you encounter a bobble, do not question it, just bobble.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The bobble is the opposite in South and North India too ----it is the famous phrase/question

    was that a "South Indian yes or a North Indian No"

    -Anuj

    ReplyDelete
  4. "ok" "got it" "I see" "if you say so"

    ReplyDelete
  5. Its called diplomacy!

    It can be
    -Yes
    -OK
    -I agree
    -I'm secretly laughing at you
    -I don't know how to say no/disagree

    It can be whatever you want it to be.

    ReplyDelete